Things To Do In the Museum
- Fossil Handling! Sets of rocks and fossils to touch and explore and a variety of activities based around our collections.
- Visit our book trolley. There are a selection of books to choose from about themes explored in the Museum, from dinosaurs to earthquakes and fossilised poo!
- Puzzles. Build up the layers of Jurassic marine reptiles from their skeletons to their skins, discover the inner workings of the famous HMS Beagle and construct an ammonite with our in-gallery puzzles.
- Activity Boxes Nine differnt boxes to use in the gallery. Just ask in the shop
- Poetry Board. Use our collections to inspire your own poetic masterpiece using our magnetic poetry board.
- Tools of the Trade. Want to try your hand as a geologist aboard HMS Beagle? Our Tools of the Trade interactive will help you to find out more about the tools that Darwin used to map the locations he visited and to analyse and identify the geological specimens he collected. You can also find it in the Darwin gallery.
- Find our Dinosaurs! Can you find all of the museums dinosaurs
- Trails: The Museum has a selection of free trails, pick one up at the front desk as well as the Cambridge Geology Trail that is available to purchase in the Museum shop.
Cambridge Geology Trail (outside Museum):
This self-guided walk around the historic city centre will introduce you to just a few of the many different rock types, fossils, minerals and geological features that are waiting to be discovered in the walls, roofs and pavements of Cambridge. The Geology guide is available to purchase in the Museum shop and we offer a discount of 10% on ten copies or more.
Monday to Friday
10:00 to 13:00 & 14:00 to 17:00Saturday
10:00 to 16:00Sunday
Oct 30, 2015
Stripping the Land Bare - Framing and Glazing of William Smith's 1815 Geological Map of England and Wales
Oct 16, 2015
Stripping the land bare - conservation and restoration of William Smith's 1815 Geological map of England and Wales.